How We Run Our Online Wellness Business
Jun 15, 2019
Today, we’re bringing you behind the scenes of Wellevatr so you can learn more about who we are, what we do and how we aim to help you with your wellbeing. Plus, if you’re an entrepreneur like us, you may pick up a few business tips and tricks! Keep reading to learn all about the digital and physical tools we use to produce content, manage events and run everything with our online brands.
We’re a two-person team, each with our own set of skills. For example, Jason is an excellent copywriter, so he composes most of the blog posts and weekly emails. Whitney is very detail-oriented and tech savvy, so she reviews, edits and publishes the blogs in addition to sending out the weekly email newsletters. If you have a business partner, team members or co-workers it’s incredibly helpful to identify each other’s strengths and passions when divvying up tasks. This can speed up processes and reduce a lot of frustration.
Our schedules are coordinated in an online calendar. Whitney creates events in iCal and invites Jason to them (he uses Google Calendar) to keep dates and times in sync. Here’s what an average week looks like for Team Wellevatr:
- Sundays: Whitney publishes podcast episodes to Patreon
- Mondays: Jason brainstorms and writes blog posts
- Tuesdays: Whitney reviews and edits the blog posts, publishes them to Wellevatr.com and Medium.com, and schedules the newsletters; Jason attends a weekly business mastermind (which occurs too early in the morning for Whitney, so she skips it!)
- Wednesdays: Whitney and Jason meet virtually (or sometimes in person) to work on various elements of the brand
- Thursdays: Whitney and Jason attend a weekly business mastermind
- Fridays: Whitney and Jason meet to work on various elements of the brand
- Saturdays: sometimes we take the day off from Wellevatr, sometimes we work! Depends on current projects.
Whitney also uses TickTick to manage tasks and to-dos throughout each week.
Disclosure: * indicates that we used a referral link, which means that if you purchase/sign up for something based on our recommendation we may receive a commission.
The tech and software we use for our blog and email newsletters:
- Kajabi* - our entire website and email management is currently hosted on this platform, though we may move some of it to Wordpress soon and we’re considering using Mailchimp or Infusionsoft for newsletters because Kajabi has some limitations
- 1&1.com* - where we purchased our domain because you can’t beat a price of .99 for the first year!
- Medium.com - where we publish our posts (in addition to Wellevatr.com) for further exposure and SEO
- Google Drive - to draft and store blogs, emails and take notes together
- Join By Text - to capture leads via text message when we’re speaking at events or on podcasts
- Scannable by Evernote - to collect business cards digitally
- Pexels - we usually use this site to find free stock photos for our blog posts
- Drip Scripts - we used this to create effective email sequences, especially for our welcome series
- iPhones - to hold our virtual meetings and talk via phone, Facetime, Skype or Zoom
Our course Wellness Warrior Training is something we’re always tweaking to make it as beneficial as possible. We’re currently working on a Professional Edition to teach wellness tactics to achieve high performance with work (stay tuned for more info on this via email!) Since we’re gearing up to release a new online course, our schedules have been a bit more jam-packed than usual (such as working on Saturdays).
The tech and software we use for our online trainings and events:
- Kajabi* - we love the templates, funnels and course structure on this platform. There are so many valuable features for teachers and students.
- Blue Yeti mic* and AT2020 mic* - to record the audio lessons within Wellness Warrior Training
- Many Chat - to run our 7-Day Business Challenge via Facebook Messenger
- Demio - to broadcast the webinar for Natural Products Expo
- Canon Rebel*, Canon G7X* and Sony A6400* - cameras we’ve used to record videos for our free training series (and YouTube channel)
- Wistia - to host the videos in our free video training series
- Descript* - to transcribe Wellness Warrior Training audio lessons into PDFs and email content
- Meetaway - host run our virtual networking events, such as the one we held before Natural Products Expo West 2019
- AudioHero* - to find royalty free music for Wellness Warrior Training
- Pay with a Post - to grant access to our virtual networking events for the price of a social post
- Zapier - to automate tasks between software, such as Kajabi and Demio
- Typeform - to get feedback on our trainings and events
- PayPal and Stripe - to accept and process payments for our trainings
- Zoom - to participate in the programs and masterminds we’re part of to grow our business
- Canva - to create graphics for our landing pages
Our podcast "This Might Get Uncomfortable" has been our biggest focus over the past few months. 30 episodes have already been recorded and we’re hard at work with our production team to release 2 new episodes each and every week. You can start digging deep into the treasure trove and listen to the podcast here.
The tech and software we use for our podcast:
- Blue Yeti mic* and AT2020 mic* - to record the episodes
- Garageband - to record, edit and export the episodes
- Patreon - to give our community early access to episodes, behind the scenes content and sneak peeks at what we’re working on
As with most brands these days, social media plays a fairly large role in our work. Since we each have personal brands and social accounts (@JasonWrobel and @EcoVeganGal), it’s been challenging to manage a third online presence. Wellevatr has a Facebook page, Facebook group, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. We post most often to Instagram whenever we feel inspired to share an image in the feed and/or story. We mainly use Facebook for our 7-Day Business Challenge and to keep Wellness Warriors motivated, inspired and accountable.
The tech and software we use for our social media:
- Linktree - to put multiple links in our Instagram profile
- Restream* - to distribute our live videos across multiple platforms and accounts
- Canva - to create graphics, such as banners and ads
Lastly, Whitney is always keeping an eye on AppSumo* for deals on software, which is where she found a number of the products we use. We highly recommend signing up for their newsletter to stay informed. Whitney’s also a fan of ProductHunt’s newsletter because she loves finding new tools to optimize Wellevatr.
We hope you enjoyed this behind the scenes look into the nuts and bolts of Wellevatr.
If you have any tools you think would help us, please let us know in a comment or email. And if you have any questions or want us to elaborate more on our business we’re happy to go even more in-depth!
Want to take a deeper dive into your personal wellness practice on a mental, physical and soul level? Check out the 10-week Wellness Warrior Training course. It's full of juicy tips like the ones in this post.
And, to get more magical mojo on a weekly basis, sign up for the Wellevatr newsletter. When you do, you'll receive our "You Are Enough" workbook as a thank you gift.